Christian Deaf Link UK (CDL) was formed as a registered charity in 1998 after many years of running as London Christian Deaf Link, which followed on from the closure of the Deaf Christian Fellowship churches (DCF) in 1987. Its aim was to provide support for Deaf Christians who had yet to adapt into local church life and they met together to worship on a fortnightly/monthly basis, coming from several churches in the Greater London and surrounding areas. Charity law required CDL to become a registered charity as its annual income exceeded £1,000. Secondly the work of CDL began to extend outside of London, therefore it felt right to become a national charity (CDLUK).
CDLUK was set up with three main charitable aims:
- To advance the gospel of Jesus Christ, particularly amongst Deaf People;
- To create a network of information to support Deaf people;
- To promote the full participation of Deaf and hearing signers in their church life and communities.
CDLUK changed its working name in 2006 to Go! Sign and developed the following:
- Go! Sign magazine, website, eNews information on Christian events, BSL Daily Devotions;
- Sign Cross Drama Group, bringing God’s Word through drama and performance in BSL;
- Each year a Festival Day or Bible Training weekend in BSL;
- Details of local churches with Sign Language services;
- Updating of the Sign Me In! policy for better participation for Deaf/hearing signers in the life of the Church;
- Discipleship training courses for Deaf people;
- “Deaf Perspectives” theology conference;
- Continual development of new resources for deaf/hearing signers – Christian Signs DVD, theology relating to Deaf issues;
- Deaf Youth 4 Christ (DY4C) – two weekend events each year for 18-35 year olds;
- Working with and contributing to other key Deaf, Christian and Disability organisations.
CDLUK/Go! Sign is grateful to God for all He has enabled us to do so far. Thanks also must go to all the trustees, staff and volunteers who have given their time, energy and prayers for the work of Go! Sign, both in the past and today. Lastly, but not least, to those who faithfully donate to keep the work going! Go! Sign will continue as long as it glorifies God.